Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 8, 2014

How to Train Your Dragon 2 (or How to Take a 2 Year Old to the Movies)

                                 
                             


I was lucky enough to head to the movies and catch How to Train Your Dragon 2 recently. Now as a parent of three toddlers going to any movie at the theater is a feat in itself but this movie had to be seen. I really enjoyed the first movie and love the TV series ( have seen the movie and show so many times I could recite whole scenes). So this movie had to be seen on the big screen. It was also significant because it was the first movie that my wife and I took our 2 year old to see. So officially the first movie he has been to see (well that he will know about....hope he does not remember us taking him to see Ted at 6 months....there were plenty of other parents at that cry baby session so do not judge me) in the theater. So not only did I get to see a fun, warm and tear jerker of a film but I got to see it through the eyes of one very small (but very large) Toothless fan.

So this will not only be a review of the new movie but will also be a tale all about what was a wonderful experience with my family....and away we go.

How to Train Your Dragon 2 (referred as Dragons 2 throughout the review because it so much easier to type) is the direct sequel to the first movie taking place about five years since Hiccup and crew found out that riding dragons is better then fighting them. And just as magical and action packed as the first movie was the sequel did not disappoint. This has to be one of those rare sequels that is easily as good if not better then the original. And that is saying a lot considering most sequels loose a little bit of its punch because expectations are high but not Dragons 2. Hiccup this time around meets up with a very large human villain this round in Drago Bludvist and his dragon army. But joining him in his fight is not only his merry band of riders but his very much alive and mysterious mother, Valka, also a dragon rider and Eret a dragon trapper in Drago's employee.

Every moment of this movie had myself (and my little boy) on the edge of my seats. Beautiful animation, wonderful voice cast and a completely engaging story made for a wonderful night of movie viewing.


                  


And sitting there watching the whole thing with me was my little boy. His big Build-A-Bear Toothless beside him staring intently at the screen catching everything while seriously chowing down on my popcorn....must have been the cool Dragons 2 popcorn bucket but he was not getting my drink....ok he got the little Toothless topper but I got the drink....ok he got a little. This is a little kids dream getting to come to the movies and have a bit of junk food. He sat there enjoying every second. And at that age his reactions are just so much more animated than an adults. He cheered for the heroes, had a little sook during the emotional moments (even climbing I to mom's arms once) and even had a little giggle for the funny bits (usually anything involving the twins....TJ Miller and Kristen Wig are just made to be the voice of the troublesome twins). It was the magic I had as a kid going to see a movie and I got to sit there and watch it unfold. I wonder if it was as beautiful an experience for my dad taking me to the movies as it was for me and my wife taking our little boy. And even better I get to do it two more times.

I really did enjoy this movie a lot. I am now looking forward to the direction the TV show takes (next season being called Dragon Masters and taking place after the film) and where the third movie in the trilogy will go. 


  1. Easily this movie gets a 10 out of 10 and will be watched again and again and again once it reaches BluRay. Thank you cast and crew for not only a great film but giving me and my family an experience we will remember for a lifetime.

No comments:

Post a Comment