Search This Blog

Thursday, May 15, 2014

Everything is Awesome.....Especially The Lego Movie

I am 42 years old and an adult fan of Lego. I have sets on my desk at work and at home. My kids play with Lego and my wife even has a set or two ready to play with (ok I bought them for her so I wouldn't look weird buying girlie Lego). So when I heard that Hollyweird was going to make a Lego movie I took the news with some apprehension. Hollywood does not have have the best track record when making a movie based on toys from our childhood or do I need to remind people of the Garbage Pail Kids Movie and Battleship

So during its development I took in every piece of information and every spoiler and slowly came around to the idea that this may not be so bad. I psyched myself up By watching some other Lego series and movies and those actually surprised me (Clutch Powers was a particular diamond in the rough) in their content and ability to stay true to the source material.

The day came and with baited breath I went to see The Lego Movie. 

And my opinion was simply...WHY HAVE THEY NOT DONE THIS SOONER...THAT WAS AWESOME!!!!! Ok I may have not been that vocal about it but I was more then happy leaving the theater. I had a skip in my step and a song in my heart ( Batman's song for Wyldstyle....DARKNESS...NO PARENTS). Story, heart warming and fun, characters,loveable and memorable and voice cast, perfect in every way. I could watch this movie over and over again and not catch every little detail in it. I am pretty convinced they got almost every Lego set imaginable in this movie.

Now without giving away too many spoilers (I will try to only mention things seen in the trailers) let me tell you a bit about what I can only call my favorite animated movie this year (until How to Train Your Dragon 2 comes out).

In The Lego Movie we have Emmett (voiced by Chris Prat soon to be in Gaurdians of the Galaxy) a simple guy who suddenly becomes extraordinary and has to save the day. Easy enough of a story you would think but there is much more here. This movie is about finding that something special in yourself that makes you unique. Not only that but embracing what makes you special and just owning it. Plus how you can help all this connected to you find themselves. And in a surprise ending it encourages, in my opinion, to not grow up and enjoy Lego...without glue.

To help Emmett on his journey of self discovery he is joined by Wyldstyle (voiced by Elizabeth Banks), Batman (voiced expertly by Will Arnett in what has to be the most selfish performance ever...loved it), Unikitty (voiced by Community's Alison Brie), Benny the 80s Space Guy "SPACESHIP!!!" (voiced by Charlie Day), Metal Beard (voiced by Ron Swanson himself Nick Offerman)  and guided in their quest by the smooth talking wiseman Vitruvius (voiced by the sultry sounds of Morgan Freeman). This ragtag crew finds out what is special about themselves and each other (except Batman he was a dick...but a well done dick) as they battle against President/Lord Business (voiced by Will Ferrell the man the myth the doer of activities when there is room), Good Cop/Bad Cop (voiced by Liam Neeson) and a cadre of robots bent on making the world a uniform and sterile devoid of imagination and fun (all on Taco Tuesday). Not to mention that Emmett gets a little helping hand from the multitude of cameos by Lego characters and voice actors alike (oddly many tied to 21 and 22 Jump Street...coincidence Phil Lord and Christopher Miller, directors of both and The Lego Movie, I think not). 

It was a simple and beautiful story that appeals to a person of any age and mentality. I can not wait for this movie to be available on home video becuase it will be in the library 1000%. 

If you have the time and you have not had your eyes and mind basked in the glory of The Lego Movie then go now...yes now stop reading and go this will be here when you return...and see it. Take your kids, take your sister's and brother's kids...heck just grab that kid there on the road and take them (legal disclaimer...that is a joke Remote Theater does not in anyway condone or encourage people to abduct children off the street to take to the movies so stick to your own kids and those whose parents allow you to take their kids to the movies even if it is to see The Lego Movie) you will not be disappointed in any way.

So ultimately I rank The Lego Movie 10 out of 10. And until I come up with a cool scale to grade movies be advised that 10 out of 10 is really good.

Everything is Awesome

No comments:

Post a Comment