Search This Blog

Saturday, May 24, 2014

X-Men: Days of Future Past Review or My History With X-Men and Why the Latest Movie Has Me X-Static

Here is my quick review of X-Men: Days of Future Past (actually this is so those that do not want to continue can read if they should see the movie or and be spared my long winded tale....which is interesting trust me). So you want to know if you should spend the money and go see the latest X-Movie well yes...yes you should. It was awesome and worth the money and time. 9 out of 10. So now you can choose continue reading about my history with the X-Men and a longer review at the end or stop and go to the movies. Trust me it is great...I am a reviewer I know what I am taking about. 

It was February 1983 and I bought my first Uncanny X-Men comic. 

The X-Men were in space fighting the Brood inside a space whale...so cool. It was my first introduction to a handful of the many X-Men, Wolverine, Storm, Kitty Pryde, Cyclops, Nightcrawler and Colossus. From that first issue My X-Men collection started. If it had a X-Men character in the book I collected it. Trust me if I had my way I would have owned every single X-Title there was. Now I stopped collecting comics regularly around 2000 but every now and again I would stop and grab a X-Men comic to keep up with my favorite characters. Some of my favourites included Nightcrawler, Shadowcat, Rachel Grey, Wolverine, Gambit, and so many more. Each story pulled me in for so long and had me entertained for decades. So trust me now when I say I am a X-Men fan.

So when the first X-Movie was announced I was grinning from ear to ear. And I saw the movie and my dork level rose (and no that is not innuendo....sheesh people get your minds out of the gutter). 

When the second X-Movie was planned I jumped for joy. and then Nightcrawler, my absolute favorite character, was going to be in it....I peed myself....and then I worried because as a fan I wanted the character done right. And finally the White House scene was released online. I watched and peed myself again and smiled a content happy smile because they did Nightcrawler proud....and I was also warm from the pee running down my leg.

Finally the third X-Men movie was announced and having been happy with one and two knew I would be excited about three. Ok I was excited but I have to say I was a bit disappointed with this one. Just did not have the same feel as the previous two movies. Good news was Beast was in this one and Kelsey Grammer was cast and he did a great job. Even pulled off an "oh my stars and garters" line. 

Then for awhile there was X-Silence until tada Wolverine was announced. It was going to exciting with lots of fist fights and claws flying. And then they ruined Deadpool....not when it was Ryan Reynolds playing the character....no he did great...but when they had him at the end with sword arms, teleporting powers and eye beams I wept. I had high hopes for this one and ultimately it did not make me smile. I do not think it an awful movie but just no where near as good as it could have been.

Then again silence. We had tons of rumours but no new X-Movie. It was a sad time with lots of crying and then like a breathe of fresh air First Class was being made. How would it go? Would it be exciting, the characters interesting, the story good?? These questions plagued my mind until it was released. I watched and soaked it all in and left the movies a happy dork. It was great and it had Kevin Bacon in it....what is not to like? Bacon was in it and everything is better with Bacon. 

And then another Wolverine movie....wweeeeee. And afterward again I felt a little worried for the X-Franchise (wonder now many other words I can put an X in front of) as nothing else was on the books yet.....then the sequel to First Class which evolved into X-Men: Days of Future Past was announced. 

And here we are about to review said film. Now I really liked First Class. I thought it was a great cast and the story was perfect. So already my hopes for the sequel were huge. And then news started to come out. Older X-Men actors and actresses were returning and then Bryan Singer was coming back to the franchise. I was getting more and more and more excited. So opening weekend comes and I whisked the wife off the the movies (actually found a babysitter first then movies).

I was blown away. This sequel is easily one of my favorite movies of the year. And now on my list of favorite sequels even. I was slightly reluctant with the plotline of the sequel as I know the Days of Future Past story from the comics and they did change it drastically. But what came out of the changes was incredible. I have to give major props to James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender (quickly becoming a pair of my new favorite actors) for again bringing the younger Professor X and Magneto to life. Especially the struggle the two feel between friendship, hate and duty to their causes. And of course the return of Patrkck Stewart and Ian McKellen as their future counterparts was magic. Seeing them back in those roles alone is worth the price of admission. And of course we can never forget the X-Men standby of Hugh Jackman as Wolverine. In all the X-Films he has constantly put forth a performance worthy of an Academy Award (but since this is an action sci-if hit we know that won't happen but always wishing for you Hugh). 

Now I can not write this review without recognising one of the newest faces to the X-Men family, Peter Dinklage, that easily made this film as Bolivar Trask creator of the Sentinals. His performance makes a person question if he truly is a villain or just extremely dedicated to his cause....and I am talking extreme...he dissected people. He is always such a large presence and the hair moustache helped make that presence larger. Really I think it worked for him. I could see Tyrion Lannister sporting that serious stache. Would change the entire feel of Game of Thrones. 

So now that I have rambled on about my love of all X-Things I should get down to the nitty gritty. Is this movie worth seeing even if you are not a huge X-Fan? YES....go see it. And then you too can deluge your dorky friends with questions about alternate timelines and realities. And if you are one of those dorky friends....I drew a diagram. Let me know and I will send you a copy so you can show it to those people asking you constantly....but Xavier was dead how did he come back in this movie? 

So overall score we will go with X-9 out of X-10 (adding X to everything is so X-Fun).


No comments:

Post a Comment